It’s National Puppy Day and if you are like me, puppy fever is easier to catch than the common cold. All I need is one whiff of puppy breath and I’m in the throes of an uncontrollable desire to hear the pitter patter, pitter patter of four tiny paws.
What’s not to love about a puppy? They are adorable furry balls of fun and kisses. It is difficult to think of any reason not to add a new puppy to the household, right?
Now that I think about it, there is a cure for puppy fever. You just need to remember your last puppy. Puppies are HARD WORK!
1. They don’t sleep through the night which means you don’t either.
Accidents happen a lot and you will need plenty of time, paper towels, and patience to house train your new bundle of joy.
2. Everything that fits goes into a puppy’s mouth and possibly their tummy. Large objects such as shoes or furniture become expensive chew toys.
3. Puppies are expensive. You’ll make several trips to the veterinarian for shots and check-ups. That doesn’t include the emergency runs after they’ve eaten something unhealthy. (see cure #2)
4. Those baby teeth are SHARP! It is not unusual for puppies to teeth on your hand when you least expect it.
5. You will be spending the next few months saying "No" and "Don't eat that!"
Do you have puppy fever? I won’t try to talk you out of it. You know what you are getting into when you decide to add another member to your family. Remember that the puppy stage doesn’t last forever so cherish each day no matter how crazy some of those days might be. The most important thing to know about puppy fever is that your dog will share your life for the next ten to fifteen years. While that might seem like a long time, in reality, it is never long enough.
Our friends at PrideBites are holding a National Puppy Day Giveaway so be sure to enter. That’s not all; we are hosting our own PrideBites giveaway beginning tomorrow. It’s huge and you don’t want to miss out on entering!
*If you enjoyed this article, you'll love 5 Puppy Mistakes to Avoid.
“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”