March is Prevent Accidental Poisoning month and a great time to make sure your house and yard are safe for your best friends.
The kitchen is a favorite place for our pets. After all, it is where the food is kept! Make sure not to let your guard down when it comes to the following items:
*Chocolate ~ most of us know chocolate is toxic to our dogs chocolate. That doesn’t stop them from trying to get a piece if given the opportunity. Dark chocolate and cooking chocolate rank highest in terms of toxicity.
*Coffee ~ the caffeine in coffee is highly toxic to dogs. It can cause seizures and death.
*Grapes ~ grapes and raisins are no-no’s as they can cause renal failure in dogs.
*Macadamia nuts ~ these are one of the most dangerous nuts for dogs. Remember they are in those delicious cookies so do not to share even a small bite with your pup.
*Onions ~ besides making us cry, onions kill canine blood cells. Even onion powder in food can cause anemia.
*Alcohol ~ I am not sure why some people think giving their dog alcohol is funny. Alcohol can cause severe damage to their liver and kidneys. It can also cause acidosis and cardiac arrest.
*Chicken Bones ~ many bones can be great for your dog and their teeth. Chicken bones do NOT fall into that category. They splinter and can cause all sorts of trouble to your dog.
Springtime arrives on March 20th and with it comes the urge to dress up our yards. We roll up our sleeves and dig in the dirt planting flowers and shrubs. Did you know that some of the prettiest flowers are dangerous to your dogs?
* Flowers ~ think twice about planting irises, tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, crocuses and lily of the valley in your gardens. While these blooms are stunningly beautiful, if your dog ingests them they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and gastrointestinal bleeding. Always check the toxicity of flowers before planting your garden.
*Blood Meal ~ dried, ground, and flash-frozen blood is like crack to dogs! They find it hard to resist. It is great for our plants but not for our pets. It contains 12% nitrogen and can cause vomiting and diarrhea. It can also cause severe pancreatitis.
*Bone Meal ~ this is just what its name implies. It is made up of defatted, dried and flash-frozen animal bones. When ingested, it can form a big cement-like bone ball in your dog’s tummy. This can lead to an expensive emergency surgery to remove the obstruction.
*Fertilizers ~ Fertilizers that contain disulfoton are extremely toxic. If eaten, one teaspoon of 1% disulfoton can kill a 55 lb. dog.
If you believe that your dog has ingested a poison, time is of the utmost importance. Do not induce vomiting unless advised to do so by your veterinarian.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, and 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.
Remember that Safety is No Accident!
Do you know the most common dog poisons around your kitchen and garden? Don't take any chances! https://t.co/f9x6o1V6iW— M. K.Clinton (@mk_clinton) March 4, 2016
Today is the Pet Parade Blog Hop! Join the fun with Rascal and Rocco, Bionic Basil’s Blog, Love is being owned by a Husky, and me.
get the InLinkz code