What do you get when you combine your local area pet rescues in one location for a super adoption day? If your city is lucky, you have the North Shore Animal League’s Tour for Life event!
This is the second year in a row that one of my favorite rescues, the Humane Society of NW Louisiana has been the featured shelter. We attended the event on Good Friday along with hundreds of others. It was a great time with some of our area’s most adorable adoptable pets.
Let me begin by telling you a little about the North Shore Animal League America. They have been saving the lives of dogs and cats regardless of age since 1944. Over a million pets have found forever homes thanks to their hard work and dedication. They are headquartered in Port Washington, N.Y. where they provide services for the New York metro/tri-state area. They are:
· The world’s largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization;
· A leader in the no-kill movement, rescuing and rehabilitating animals instead of euthanizing them;
· An innovator in animal welfare to create a more sustainable world for all companion animals;
· A strong voice, elevating the status and promoting the acceptance of mixed-breed animals — Mutt-i-grees®— through advocacy and education;
· A collaborative organization that’s built a national network of shelter and rescue partners;
· A trusted source for information, education, and resources that increase adoptions and enhance the lives of adopters and their pets.
*Facts courtesy of the North Shore Animal League
The Mobile Adoption Unit that visited our city began over ten years ago. It is a way to bring the animals out of the shelter where potential adopters can see them. The fleet has grown to include six climate-controlled units that can comfortably hold 50 pets. We were able to walk through and see local pets looking for their forever families. This is part of the Cooperative Mobile Adoption Program.
The Tour for Life Adoption event was held in one of our largest shopping areas. You can find out if the Tour for Life is coming to your town with their National Adoption Tours & Events.
I was thrilled to meet amazing volunteers from these shelters, rescues, and service organizations:
· University Animal Clinic (My awesome vet)
All of the organizations that were represented do a terrific job of helping dogs and cats that would otherwise end up on the streets or euthanized. I will be featuring more of these adoptable pets to help bring attention to these shelters.
See the excitement of Tour for Life 2016 in @sbctb! Thanks to the @AnimalLeague! https://t.co/Y9VvqDvJWX pic.twitter.com/qknXvilCNT— M. K.Clinton (@mk_clinton) March 29, 2016
Y'all be sure and register for a chance to win an I ♥ my pet candle. Visit our post, Companion Soy Candles Make Scents for details and to get points for your daily tweet.