Summer is a great time for families to enjoy backyard cookouts, camping and traveling. I’m sure it’s one of our dog’s favorite times of the year too. They get to spend time with their people! Can’t you just picture the perfect Norman Rockwell image of 4th of July celebrations, barbecues, and parades? That is the summer that Barking from the Bayou wishes for you and your pets.
Here are 5 tips from PetPlan pet insurance that will help ensure your great time doesn’t end up at the vet’s office.
· Keeping it cool ~ as the temperatures rise, so do emergencies caused by the heat to our pups. Watch for signs of heat stroke, dehydration, and heat rash. This is especially true for snub-nosed breeds that are twice as likely to see a vet for heat-related issues during the summer as other breeds. Be on alert for heavy panting, lethargy or staggering. Make sure your pet has plenty of fresh, clean water and shade. Never leave your dog in a parked car.
· Itching for summer ~ allergies can make you and your dog miserable. When you bathe or brush your dog be on the lookout for any skin irritations. The risk of a skin infection is 16% higher during the summer months. Swimming, humidity, and parasites can wreak havoc on your pet. Check out my post, DIY Dog Allergy Hacks for some awesome homemade preventatives.
· When the dog bites, the bee stings ~ is a lesson that seems hard for our dogs to fetch. They are twice as likely to be stung during the summer and bees are to blame 25% of the time. A sting can result in redness and swelling but some dogs can experience anaphylaxis. Allergic shock requires immediate veterinary attention and can include difficulty breathing and vomiting.
· I can’t EAR you ~ there is something about corn on the cob that dogs find hard to resist. Eating a corn cob is very dangerous for your pooch. It can get stuck in their intestines or stomach and require surgery for removal. A whopping 70% of all corn cob ingestion occur between June and August. Always dispose of corn cobs in a trash bag and out of nosey dogs’ reach.
· Don’t try to ‘raisin’ with a dog ~ many dogs enjoy fruit and there are a variety of tasty treats such as watermelon, bananas, and apples that they can snack on with you. Grapes and raisins are NOT on that list. Ingesting grapes and raisins can result in acute kidney failure in dogs. Signs of poisoning include vomiting, increased thirst and diarrhea. If you think your pup ate a grape, raisin, wine or an oatmeal raisin cookie, call your vet immediately. The average cost of treating grape or raisin poisoning can range from $750 to over $3,000 to treat.
Following these tips can keep you from getting ‘burned’ by huge vet bills this summer. Another great way is to have your pet insured in the case of an emergency. PetPlan has a policy to fit your budget. Visit them at www.petplan.com for more information.