Friday, July 26, 2019

Tips to Prevent Fires Started by Pets

   Did you know that according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) pets are responsible for over 1,000 house fires annually in the United States? Even more astounding is that an estimated 40,000 pets die in fires each year, mostly from smoke inhalation. The question is how can you help prevent your pet from starting a fire in your home. Here are some tips that can be lifesavers.
*This article contains Amazon affiliate links.
How to Fireproof Your Home
• Use flameless candles in your home. Never leave an open flame anywhere near your pet.
• If your pet is tall enough to reach the stove, purchase a set of stove knob covers. The NFPA reports that stoves or cooktops are the number one cause of pet started fires.
• Never leave your pet alone with an electric blanket. If they were to bite into the cord, it could not only injure your pet but start a fire.
• Only use stainless steel or ceramic pet water dishes on your wooden deck. The sun’s rays can actually ignite the wood by filtering and heating through the glass and water!
• Make sure that you have working smoke detectors.
• Post emergency decals to alert first responders that you have animals inside your home.
• Include your pets in your fire escape plans and make note of their favorite hiding spots. Many animals panic and hide in emergencies.
   I have read and known people who have lost their homes because of a careless mistake when leaving their dogs or cats alone. A little common sense and some extra precautions can help prevent a disaster.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

22 comments :

  1. Great advice ! Our stove knobs are now retractable, and you have to push them hard to let them come out and use them. Our previous stove had "normal" knobs ; Claire asked an electrician to install a general switch to turn off the stove power. Indeed, she had noticed that with increasing age, Angel Hercules leaned on the knobs to climb and thus rotated them, which turned one or more heating plates on ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our boys are too short but I wouldn't hesitate to cover ours if they could reach them.

      Delete
  2. we have a children lock thingy... but every day the mama has to read the instruction furst to get it out LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of these tips were familiar, others not ... thanks for sharing! Did not know the statistics were that "bad" either ... scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice. About 1 1/2 years ago one of the people we know in IA who hosts nose work trials and has a dog school lost her house and all her pets to a home fire. She left in the morning and within an hour, the house and pet were gone. One of them turned the gas burner on the stove on and it ignited something. Terrible tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMD! That is so sad. I was shocked at hope often it happens.

      Delete
  5. We never knew that pets could start so many fires. Great post, Pierre!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY WORD I had no idea about the glass dish and water in the sun! YIKES
    Happy weekend to you Boys and your peeps
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. A relative mentioned that she noticed small burns in her favorite chair one day, then realized her magnifying glass was catching the sun! One never knows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, we had no idea pets were responsible for so many fires, but it makes total sense. Here's to safe co-habitation with any fire bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, this is just terrifying. Mom and I didn't even know we should worry about this. Great tips for safety.


    Love and licks,
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look great tips! Removing the stove knob covers is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good ideas. We have the decals and the back door is always left open for us...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! And we never knew that about the sun and glass/plastic bowls. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are FABulous tips boyz! I used to put my paws up on the counter near the stove, so Ma just took off the knobby thingies. (she hardly ever cooks anyhu! BOL!!!!)
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am SO careful to never leave any food on the stove that would make Luke want to jump up there. My nephew's dog did that once and almost started a fire (luckily he didn't).
    We don't use electric blankets and have a check mark on everything else! Having a fire when we're not home to get the animals out is one of my biggest fears.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really good (and important) tips! Fires are so scary, but so many can be avoided. Prevention is the key.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Bark back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.