Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Pet Poison Prevention Reminders

   March is Poison Prevention Awareness Month and a great time to make sure your house and yard is safe for your best friends. 
Westie with Toxic Waste candy
Kitchen Catastrophes 
   The kitchen is favorite place for our pets. After all, it is where the food is kept! Make sure not to let your guard down when it comes to the following items:
*Chocolate ~ most of us know chocolate can be toxic to our dogs. That doesn’t stop them from trying to get a piece every chance they get. Dark chocolate and cooking chocolate rank highest in terms of toxicity. Always keep any type of chocolate where your dog can’t reach it. 
*Coffee ~ the caffeine in coffee is highly toxic to dogs. It can cause seizures and death.
*Grapes ~ grapes and raisins are no-no’s as they can cause renal failure in dogs.
*Macadamia nuts ~ these are one of the most dangerous nuts for dogs. You may love them in delicious cookies but do not share even a small bite with your pup.
*Onions ~ besides making us cry, onions kill canine blood cells. Even onion powder in food can cause anemia.
*Alcohol ~ I am not sure why some people think giving their dog alcohol is funny. Alcohol can cause severe damage to their liver and kidneys. It can also cause acidosis and cardiac arrest.  
*Chicken Bones ~ many bones can be great for your dog and their teeth. Chicken bones do NOT fall into that category. They splinter and can cause all sorts of trouble to your dog. Be sure to get the bones out of the house so your best friend is not tempted to raid the garbage can!
Westie and basset in gardenGarden Gremlins
   Springtime has arrived and with it comes the urge to dress up our yards. We roll up our sleeves and dig in the dirt planting flowers and shrubs. Did you know that the prettiest of gardens can be dangerous to your dogs?
* Flowers ~ think twice about planting tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, crocuses and lily of the valley in your gardens if the pups hang out or dig in them. While these blooms are stunningly beautiful, if your dog ingests them, they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and gastrointestinal bleeding.
*Blood Meal ~ dried, ground, and flash-frozen blood is like crack to dogs! They find it hard to resist. It is great for our plants but not for our pets. It contains 12% nitrogen and can cause vomiting and diarrhea. It can also cause severe pancreatitis. Mine also love to try and roll in it. 
*Bone Meal ~ this is just what its name implies. It is made up of defatted, dried and flash-frozen animal bones. When ingested, it can form a big cement-like bone ball in your dog’s tummy. This can lead to an expensive emergency surgery to remove the obstruction.
*Fertilizers ~ Fertilizers that contain disulfoton are extremely toxic. If eaten, one teaspoon of 1% disulfoton can kill a 55 lb. dog.  
   If you believe that your dog has ingested a poison, time is of the utmost importance. Do not induce vomiting unless advised to do so by your veterinarian. 
   The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, and 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card. 
Remember Prevention is No Accident!
Sources:
We are affiliates for the following companies. If you make a purchase through our links and/or use our discount code, we will receive a commission. Thank you for your support!
Click on any of the ads below to be magically whisked away to online shopping and saving!
https://treatibles.com/shop/
https://www.amazon.com/shop/mk_clinton
https://www.drharveys.com/
We hope that you join us for the worldwide Pet Parade blog hop hosted by Dash Kitten and co-hosts Bionic Basil and me! You can share a wordless or wordy post or tweet to be shared on social media. All DOGS, CATS and any other pet blog is welcome. If you want eyes on your post, don’t let the Parade pass you by!

Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
If this widget does not appear, click here to display it.

21 comments :

  1. that's true.. to think twice before we use or plant something is the best prevention...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder on what is bad for us. No one wants to ingest any poisons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really too bad all that pretty stuff outside can be so dangerous. Excellent safety information!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so many poisons out there, or dangerous items that humans do not regard as such. Thanks for an important post.
    Purrs
    ERin

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very useful reminder, there are so many unexpected thingys in the 'Not Fur Dogs' range
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good advice. Don't forget to put garlic n that list too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good reminders and we always add Sego Palm to the list. It is becoming more popular all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. During all the years we had pets I set up the house like a 2 year old toddler lived here.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was at a 'plant your garden with native plants' seminar yesterday, and the lecturer kept saying, "DON'T USE POISON" It kills more than the intended foes, plus it can kill other animals, and get into the watershed, etc. We don't use anything icky inside or outside of our home, and try to keep all human foods away from the kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! So many dangers to watch out for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great PSA!!! There are so many things that one can put in the garden that can really be harmful to pups. Best to always check out the safety precautions.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great information! We feel like we know these things, but many dog families do not. When we had our first dogs, we used to give them grapes all the time! We had no idea, and thank goodness they never bothered them.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such important information for peeps to know
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  14. You knows I like to eats, um...I means prune Ma's plants, so she keeps the bulby plants in jail (behind the doggie fence). thanks for the reminders, peeps can never be too informed, rights??!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are great reminders, you guys. Thank you for sharing such important information about how to keep our pets safe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post guys, EPIC in fact and thanks fur sharing!! Happy Hopping too!! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post - and such important information to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't know that bone meal & blood meal were hazardous to pets! Thanks for sharing that. Great list of gremlins to avoid.
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
  19. Terrific info and the pawfect reminder for around the house and garden.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Bark back!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.